Thursday, March 17, 2011

The goal: to live a longer, healthier life

50 years ago, it wasn't strange to live to be 90 and 100 years old. Today, we are dying off younger and younger from issues such as diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, etc. You hear more cases of ecoli and salmonella poisoning. Whats the difference? 50 years ago, we were more self sufficient. It wasn't odd to go into the back yard and pick your fresh herbs and vegetable to cook the evenings dinner with. Now, we have turned into a "hurry, hurry, hurry" society, to busy to cook dinner more less actually plant food. If you ask someone in their early 20's to snap a pea, they would have no idea what you were speaking of.
Advancing in technology is greatly needed, but holding on to somethings is not such a bad idea either! In 2009, I watched a documentary titled FOOD INC. That movie changed my life! It changed how I looked at, even thought about food. It changed the way I looked at the grocery store produce department and made my eyes light up when I saw rich fertile ground. I began to have an appreciation for the simpler things in life, for the way things were done, 50, 60, even 70 years ago, when the diseases that are apart of our everyday existence were a rarity.




Something seriously has to be done about the direction that our kids are going in. Someone has to show them the importance of self sufficiency and living a healthier life. And, I plan to do just that! I want to see my grand children, and their children and possibly their children. I want to be able to breath clean air, walk a mile without a thought and eat dinner without thoughts of sickness.
I'm putting together a plan currently, to open a center for sustainable life, or center for self sufficient living, or something along those lines, in 2012. I use to be the person to wait until others are ready to get on board, now I'm saying I'll do it alone and others can jump on the band wagon later but this has to be done. For our children and their children's children.
I can envision now, acres of a community garden, open to anyone who is willing to get dirty hands one weekend a month, or to volunteer to teach classes or even work the centers gift shop. I can envision classes teaching alternative ways of building homes and living off of the land.
But hey, that's just my idea of living. Who the heck am I?!?




No comments:

Post a Comment